This recipe is by Mary Berry and I must say that it turned out perfect. Even though you have a shortcrust pastry to make as well as a sponge, it was easy to put all together. I am going to make these again very soon because it is nice to enjoy a slice of it with a cup of tea in the evening.
Ingredients for Pastry:
175g Plain Flour
115g Caster Sugar
175g Self-raising Flour
1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Large Eggs
2 Tablespoon Milk
1/2 tsp Almond Extract (I used Vanilla)
4 Tablespoon Jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan
2. To make the pastry put the plain flour into a bowl and rub the butter in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2/3 tablespoons of water and combine to form a dough.
3. Roll this out onto a floured surface and line the bottom of the traybake tin. Spread the jam on top.
4. To make the sponge put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until well blended. Transfer this to the tin and level the surface. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin. To check pop a knife into the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean it is done. Leave to cool in the tin before cutting it into squares.