This recipe is from Jack Monroe – Cooking On A Bootstrap
Note: I have altered some of the amounts to cater for my family and I do not include costings for things such as oil, salt and pepper etc.
You can also make this recipe cheaper depending on the number of ingredients you buy and where you get them from. We have a couple of things that are homegrown such as garlic and herbs.
2 Onions 200g (75p 1kg) 15p
1 Tbsp Oil
Total: £2.22 approximately
*Prices from Sainsbury’s
1. Peel and slice the onion and garlic and put them into an oiled frying pan. Peel the carrot and then grate that into the pan.
2. Fry gently on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Chop the herbs and add them to the pan. Then when the onion has softened crumble in the stock cube, add the wine, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and then the lentils.
4. Stir and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked. (A little bit of water might need to be added during this time)
5. Serve on top of pasta with a nice helping of hard cheese on top, and a side of garlic bread.