This Rainbow Salad with Feta and Lime recipe, part of the Gousto cookbook archives of recipes, I was really hoping would taste amazing, but some flavours were just a little overpowering. I think I might try this out again but using a couple of different ingredients that I know I like. You can make this recipe cheaper depending on the amount you buy and where you buy the ingredients from.
120g Couscous (1kg £1.35) 16p
30g Pumpkin Seeds (100g 85p) 26p
250g Cooked Beetroot (300g 79p) 66p
200g Carrots (1kg 45p) 9p
28g Honey (454g £1.45) 9p
15g Ginger (52g 14p) 4p
1 Vegetable Stock Cube (10 for 30p) 3p
100g Feta (200g £1.20) 60p
1 tsp Cumin Seeds (37f 85p) 5p
*10g Parsley (Homegrown)
You Will Also Need:
Olive Oil, Pepper, Salt
(Prices from Tesco)
*It said to use Coriander but to keep costs down I chose to use some of our homegrown Parsley, otherwise the cost would have been (30g 70p) 23p, which would make the total £2.51.
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C and Boil a Kettle
2. Peel the carrots and chop them into batons. Cut each of the beetroots into 8 wedges. Put the carrot and beetroot on a baking tray and crumble the feta over the top, along with the cumin seeds, a drizzle of honey, 2/3 tbsp of oil, and season with salt and pepper. Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, dissolve the stock in 200ml of boiled water in a bowl, add the couscous and cover with a tea towel. Put to one side for 10 minutes and then fluff the couscous with a fork.
4. Heat a pan over a medium-high heat and add the pumpkin seeds. Toast them for about 3 minutes until they go slightly dark in colour and start to pop. Set them aside.
5. Peel and finely chop the ginger and the coriander including the stalks. Combine them with the juice of half a lime and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
6. Serve the roasted carrot, beetroot and feta on top of the couscous. Drizzle the dressing over it and garnish with the toasted pumpkin seeds and lime.