This recipe I found on my Bake Off Calendar. Each month there is a different recipe to try but I hadn’t had the time to bake anything, until now. The one thing I love about this recipe and generally do with different recipes is just how easy it is, which makes it amazing to do with kids. Everything basically goes into a bowl and then you mix it together then bang, in the oven it goes. These turned out so well and were a nice snack for the whole family.
Total: £1.69 (approx 11p per square slice)
(*Prices from Tesco)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease the baking tray.
2. To make the sponge put the butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs, milk and flour in a large bowl and mix together until smooth and light.
3. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and spread evenly. Bake for 20/25 minutes then leave to cool.
4. To make the frosting sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter, milk, vanilla and mix well until smooth and light.
5. Once the sponge is out of the tin and cooled, spread the frosting over the top and decorate. Cut into squares before serving.