New Year And A New Goal – We Are Reducing Plastic In Our Home.

At this time of year, it is known for people to set themselves new yearly goals, but I am one of those people that do not generally do them, as I never stick to them. This year we have decided as a family to set ourselves the goal of using as little plastic in the house as we can that fits within our lives.

Over Christmas, we were just shocked at how much plastic there was, from absolutely everything. Toys and food that are just wrapped in so many non-recyclable products, and you’ve seen the pictures, these products just end up in the ocean causing more harm to everything that lives in it.

It was this that we made our New Years Goal which is to try and reduce the plastic in our home. Food products, fruit and veg, milk, and even loo roll are some of the first things to tackle on our list because we have to start somewhere.

There are many things we can change but to fit within our lives at the moment we won’t be going completely free, and everything will be a gradual change over the course of the next year. We will be learning a lot as we go because it seems there is just plastic everywhere which just needs to change.

We can’t wait to embark on this interesting journey and hopefully, I can share with you all about how our new life of limiting our plastic is going. Who knows, maybe our kitchen will be extremely organised for once. Of course, I will be trying to do things for as little money as possible and live as frugally as we can, but understand it will definitely be a challenge.

So here we go.

Please follow and like us:

9 Comments

1. January 3, 2019 / 7:41 pm

Cheers to less plastic and reusing…we can do this!

2. January 10, 2019 / 9:24 am

I hope it goes well. I find little steps work for me. Definitely changes as the family grows up. #GoingGreen

• January 10, 2019 / 12:17 pm

I am finding it is all about the little steps and we can then gradually build upon them as we go. πŸ™‚ x #plasticfree

• January 10, 2019 / 7:11 pm

I changed to a bamboo toothbrush a few months ago and I love it. I too want to try beeswax wraps, they look really good. πŸ™‚

3. January 10, 2019 / 8:15 pm

I’ve just recently started to realise that a lot of things I thought were recyclable actually aren’t so I look,forward to reading about your journey!

• January 10, 2019 / 9:06 pm

Thank you. I went through our cupboard and was shocked at the amount of packaging that I thought was recyclable, but turned out wasn’t. It does make me look at things differently, and look at alternatives. πŸ™‚

4. January 10, 2019 / 10:02 pm

Sounds great & I agree that going waste free or entirely no plastic is very difficult to achieve in everyday life when work, family or all sort gets into the way. Really curious to hear what ways you find to avoid plastic πŸ™‚

• January 10, 2019 / 10:09 pm

Thank You. We are almost at the completion of our first week and it has been interesting. It is definitely a process that needs to be taken one step at a time and reducing plastic has to fit in with the people’s lives. πŸ™‚ x